Best Rowing Lakes and Lidos in London
Among the most stunning features in London at the present moment are the lakes and lidos that are to be found literally everywhere in the metropolitan area. No matter whether you will go for a swim in the summer, or relax in a rowing boat, they are great all year round.
Man and van contractors from the capital notice the interesting trend that more and more people today include the presence of a lake or a lido in the vicinity of the district when they are choosing the place they are going to relocate their homes. So don’t be surprised if you find it hard to book a man and van service in such places – it will just take some patience, especially in the areas where the best ones are:
- Tooting Bec Lido is one of the most popular open space swimming areas in London. The pool is 90 meters long, and in addition to being best known, it is also the oldest purpose built swimming pool in London. A great contribution to Tooting Bec Lido’s popularity is the fact that it was featured on Guy Richie’s Snatch. Club swimming goes on all year round here, and to the general public the lido is opened from 19 May to 30 September.
- Brockwell Lido is another pretty popular place. It has a sun bathing area, a changing area, cafes and restaurants. It is the perfect place to have a fun day with family and friends during the hot summer weekends. The charisma of this lido stems from the fact that it was opened in 1937 and up until today it retains a large number of its original features. Another major benefit is location – as it can easily be guessed from the name, the lido is in Brockwell Park, one of the best open green spaces in London – and perfect for a post-swimming walk among nature.
- The Serpentine Lido in Hyde Park is another fine choice. It is the facility of the eponymous swimming club, which by the way is the oldest swimming club in Britain. The hallmark of the club’s calendar is the Peter Pan Cup race, which is organized every Christmas since 1864! The Serpentine Lake is also considered to be one of the best rowing lakes in the capital. It occupies a large part of Hyde Park and the majority of the activities here center on the lake.
- Regent’s Park is another great place for rowing. In addition to the large boating lake in this breathtaking park, there is also a smaller one which is suitable for children. You can do rowing here from April to September, and while you do it, you will have the chance to enjoy the beautiful flora and fauna, birds especially, in and around the lake.
- Bettersea Park also has a lake that offers rowing and pedaling facilities in July and August, as well as the September weekends when the weather is good.